Looking for tips on where to go on holiday in Europe? This article includes the most beautiful places in Europe, divided by country. You’ll get endless inspiration on what to visit in Europe, whether you’re driving, taking the kids, or planning a weekend getaway or seaside.
- What are the most beautiful places in Europe?
- What are the most beautiful places in the country and why should you visit it?
- An endless source of inspiration for where to go on holiday in Europe
The most beautiful places to go on holiday in Europe
Get inspired by this list of the most beautiful places in Europe and start preparing for your European travel.
I’ve included the places we visited and we were absolutely enchanted. And she added a list of places that are our traveler’s dream and I believe will be yours too.
Join us to see what to visit and see in Europe and start planning your dream holiday:
Albania is mountains and sea. A very popular seaside resort is Sarando or the Ksamil Islands in the south of Albania with crystal clear water and beautiful nature in the surroundings.
The most important of the mountain ranges are the Albanian Alps or Prokletije (Cursed Mountains), which Albania shares with Kosovo. They include the Valbona National Park. A popular national city is Berat, which Albanians call the City of a Thousand Windows.
Andorra is located between Spain and France. The main attraction is the beautiful landscape of the Pyrenees.
Belgium is home to some of the most beautiful cities in Europe – Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent will all enchant you.
The unspoilt nature of Belarus is flat, full of marshes and lakes and rivers with clear water. Up to a third of the area is covered by dense forests, where you have the chance to encounter a European rarity – herds of bison, Europe’s largest mammals.
The whole of Belarus is strongly influenced by tradition and folklore. Be sure not to miss the capital Minsk when you visit. You can also admire the Mir Castle near Mir or the historic city of Brest.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Any mountain man thinking about where to go on holiday in Europe should think about Bosnia and Herzegovina. The landscape here is significantly mountainous and you will have no shortage of views. You can visit one of the last forests in Europe – Sutjeska National Park near the border with Montenegro.
A popular tourist destination is the city of Mostar with its iconic bridge.
Much of Bulgaria is mountainous. The most famous mountain ranges are the Stara Planina in the central part of Bulgaria and in the southwest the Rila Mountains, the Pirin Mountains and the Rhodope Mountains, which extend into Greece.
Most people think of the Black Sea beaches when they think of Bulgaria. Especially the famous seaside resorts of Golden Sands, Primorsko, Varna, etc. In the northwest you will find a rocky area with the Belogradchik fortress.
Love the backdrop of dramatic mountains behind the beaches in Croatia? Then you’ll also enjoy Montenegro, but unlike Croatia, you’ll enjoy more peace and quiet.
Hiking enthusiasts should not miss the Durmitor National Park.
Denmark is made up of hundreds of islands connected by bridges. These are architectural attractions in themselves.
Very often airlines announce nice promotions for tickets to Copenhagen, which is definitely worth seeing. Especially its iconic Nyhavn waterfront. One of the oldest amusement parks, Tivoli, is located right in the capital.
If you’re more of a nature person, you’ll be interested in the island of Møn, which is a national reserve. Among other things, you can enjoy the chalk cliffs of Møns Klint. On the west coast between Skagen and Frederikshavn is the Råbjerg Mile, an area characterised by shifting sand dunes.
And what about the beautiful green carpets, waterfalls and rock formations on the Faroe Islands, which will take everyone’s breath away and are among the most beautiful places in Europe.
Estonia is one of the other countries with untouched and beautiful nature. It is characterized by wetlands, swamps, lots of greenery and numerous national parks.
Even the capital Tallinn is one of the most “natural” cities in the world. Tallinn is right on the Baltic Sea. By ferry you can cross the Gulf of Finland comfortably for a trip to the nearby Helsinki.
You can combine a visit to Tallinn with a trip to Lahemaa National Park, the largest national park in the Baltic Sea.
Personally, I don’t understand what some people say about going “only” to Croatia. Croatia is a beautiful country. There are not so many places with such a beautiful clear sea, which is surrounded by high mountains. We started our hike at 5 am and spent the afternoon by the water.
If you make it to the southern tip of Croatia, don’t miss Dubrovnik with its massive fortress fortifications. On the way home, you can make a detour to Plitvice Lakes National Park.
Read also: get inspired with tips on where to go in Croatia with tips on the best destinations. Split is a historic town with beautiful beaches and complete facilities. Take a look at our guide to Split.
Finland is characterised by lakes, dense forests, dog sledding and the Northern Lights. 29% of Finland’s land area is in an area known as Lapland.
Lapland is a part of the North that covers the territory of 4 countries – Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. The climate is harsh and the population density is low. But nature is beautiful.
Helsinki is also worth mentioning, as it doesn’t feel like a typical rushed capital city. On the other hand, it is a relatively quiet place with a lot to offer.
France and Monaco
Monaco is located on the south of the French border with Italy. It’s small, but luxury radiates from every corner.
You can combine Monaco with a visit to the French coast. Here you will visit seaside resorts such as Nice or Saint Tropez. Immediately adjacent to the coast is the Provence region, which extends to the French Alps.
In addition to the French Alps, Paris and other famous cities (Lyon, Bordeaux, etc.) are worth seeing the Normandy area. Especially the coast at Étretat with its magnificent rock formations.
More inspiration for holidays in France:
- PARIS ITINERARY: Check out our tips on what to see in Paris. To help you plan, we’ve created an itinerary for 3 days in Paris.
- ATTRACTIONS IN PARIS: If you are an art lover, we have prepared a detailed guide to the Louvre (what to see, prices, admission, etc.). In the next article you will learn everything you need to know before visiting Versailes.
- Are you planning to visit Disneyland? Read our detailed guide to Disneyland.
- PROVENCE: How about discovering more beautiful places in France? Provence is one of them. The Provence guide tells you everything you need to know before your trip.
Ireland is nicknamed for its lush green landscape Emerald Isle. Nature is complemented by a number of castles and impressive cliffs. One of these places is the Cliffs of Moher.
It’s not just nature you’ll enjoy in Ireland. For example, Dublin with its typical pubs or Cobh in the south of Ireland are definitely worth seeing.
We ‘ve put together a detailed guide with tips on what to see in Ireland. Dublin is one of the most beautiful cities in Ireland – here’s a list of things to do in Dublin and tips for day trips from Dublin.
Iceland is a dream for all nature lovers. You will find everything here – geysers, waterfalls, lava fields, mountains, grass carpets, cliffs, canyons and other natural phenomena.
Iceland is very easy to get around on the Ring Road (road 1). From this road you will also see many natural phenomena. Just drive and where you like, stop and enjoy. One of the branches is a canyon near the capital city of Reykjavík – Thingvellir, where the American and European tectonic plates meet.
There are a number of waterfalls in Iceland. One of the most famous is the Seljalandsfoss waterfall. The waterfall is easily accessible and can be walked around.
North of Reykjavík is Kirkjufell. And it’s not just any mountain. Judge for yourself. In order to see the rainbow mountains of Landmannalaugar, you will have to get off the main road and equip yourself with an off-road vehicle. But it’s worth it.
The lava fields of Eldhraun will get you a flood of mossy greenery. Vatnajökull National Park is also one of the most beautiful places, including the Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon and Diamond Beach in the south-east of Iceland.
You’ll find it right by the main road and you won’t miss it. You will see with your own eyes the ice floes breaking off from the glacier. Just a short distance away, to the west, is the Skaftafellsjökull icefall.
Italy and the Vatican
Italy has so much more to offer than Rome and swimming by the sea. Just to the north you will discover what many consider the most beautiful mountains in the world – the Dolomites, which are also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
And finally, the Cinque Terre National Park in north-west Italy.
Right in the heart of Rome you will find the Vatican. The smallest country in the world. The seat of the Pope. Vatican City will amaze you with its architecture, which is why millions of tourists from all over the world come here.
More inspiration for holidays in Italy:
- ITALY: Here’s a list of the most beautiful places in Italy.
- ROME: Rome is one of the most popular cities in Europe. Here’s a list of the best things to see in Rome. Build your 3-day Rome itinerary and see how to save in Rome. Find out all about the Vatican Museums or the Colosseum.
- VENICE: In the article What to visit in Venice we bring you tips on the most beautiful places and other useful tips.
- NEAPOL: Find out what to see in Naples in a separate guide.
- TUSCANY: Tuscany is one of the most popular parts of Italy. You can’t miss Florence on your visit to Tuscany. Build your itinerary from a list of things to see in Florence.
- Pisa is another wonderful city to see in Tuscany.
- LOMBARDIA: Milan is the capital of Lombardy, famous for its magnificent cathedral. Just outside Milan is Lago di Como, a beautiful alpine lake. Or check out our 15 tips on what to see in Bergamo.
- DOLOMITES: One of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world can be found in northern Italy. What to see in the Dolomites is in a separate article. In the Dolomites guide we share useful tips on how to plan your trip to the Dolomites.
Kosovo is a paradise for those who seek the mountains. In the south, near the border with Macedonia, you will find the Šar Planina mountain range, which stretches for 80 km. In the west, the Prokletije Mountains are worth a visit.
If you are more into architecture, you should not miss the city of Prizren.
Liechtenstein may be a small country, but it is still worth a visit. Just because of the beautiful alpine landscape. You can also admire the castle in the capital Vaduz or Gutenberg Castle.
What to see in Lithuania? Especially their lakes, of which there are over 3,000. That is why Lithuania is called the Land of a Thousand Lakes. And not to be outdone, Lithuania has also carved out a piece of the Baltic Sea for itself.
In addition to the capital Vilnius, you can take a trip to the nearby Trakai Historical Cultural Park with its eponymous castle, where pedal boats are available for hire.
Latvia is the last of the Baltic countries. The landscape here is also flat, only slightly hilly, full of lakes, rivers, beaches and greenery. Ideal for cyclists. The capital Riga is known as the Paris of the East. Nearby, you can drive to Gauja or Kemeri National Parks.
Luxembourg is a country of castles. For such a small state, you’ll find quite a few of them. And not just any. Among the most beautiful are Vianden Castle and Bourscheid Castle.
You shouldn’t miss the capital city of Luxembourg, whose old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
When you say Hungary, most of us probably think of 2 major attractions – thermal springs and the largest lake in Central Europe, Lake Balaton. Plus beautiful Budapest with its sugar-coated Fisherman’s Bastion, glitzy parliament and stylish cafes.
Malta is a land of azure seas, rocky headlands and sandy beaches. The rich history of the island can be felt all over the island. The capital Valletta encompasses everything that is typical of Malta. You should definitely not miss it when visiting the island.
The same goes for the island of Comino, where you can see the Azure Window rock formation. Another island worth visiting is Gozo.
Malta is a densely populated island, but there are still plenty of secluded spots where you’ll have the beach almost to yourself.
Moldova is a very poor country characterised by a flat steppe landscape. This makes the views of the wide surroundings seem endless. If you want to experience a truly unspoilt landscape in one of the least visited countries in Europe, head here.
The capital city of Chisinau is nice, although it might not wow you like other European cities.
It is difficult to identify a few places worth visiting. When you go to Moldova, it’s not primarily about natural phenomena or architectural gems.
You want to experience the special atmosphere here. Peace and quiet mixed with the remnants of socialism, incredibly nice people and a night sky full of stars that you will never see anywhere else.
Amsterdam and its surroundings are a feast for the eyes. A flat landscape, wide plains of flower meadows and an imaginary cherry – windmills. This will get even the die-hard romance deniers.
More inspiration for holidays in the Netherlands:
- AMSTERDAM: Check out the best places to visit in Amsterdam. For easy itinerary planning, read Amsterdam in 3 days. Going to Amsterdam with kids? Here’s a list of places to visit in Amsterdam with kids.
Germany is underestimated. When thinking about where to go on holiday in Europe, Germany is not often the first choice. And yet there are so many beautiful places.
The Bavarian Forest, which you can find on the other side of the Bohemian Forest, is worth mentioning. To the south are the German Alps. Don’t miss the Berchtesgaden National Park with its famous Eagle’s Nest and the Königssee and Obersee lakes.
But have you ever thought about Germany? Swimming at the Baltic Sea? In the seaside resort of Binz, for example, the water is like coffee in summer. Another resort with a beautiful promenade is Sellin. The advantage is that, unlike in southern Europe, there are fewer tourists.
Both towns are located on Germany’s largest island, Rügen. But the main attraction of this island are the white cliffs in Jasmund National Park.
More inspiration for your holiday in Germany:
- GERMANY: Check out our article for more inspiration on what to visit in Germany.
- BERLIN: Berlin has something for everyone – take your pick from our tips on what to see in Berlin.
- Dresden: Dresden is one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. Get inspired with tips on sights and attractions to visit in Dresden.
- GERMAN ALPS: Germany has carved out a beautiful part of the Alps for itself. What to do and what hiking trails to take in the German Alps can be found in a separate article.
Norway is my dream. The coastal huts, the fjords and the perfectly green landscape is something that is completely etched in my memory. One of the most popular areas in Norway is the coastal city of Stavanger. There are a number of hiking trails that take you through the nature around the fjords. The most popular of these is the Preikestolen rock formation.
Just up the road is the famous town of Bergen. Here too, the surrounding landscape is full of breathtaking places. The Trolltunga or Tongue rock formation is well known.
But when I talk about Norway, I’m thinking about one area in the north – Lofoten. This is where you can see the Northern Lights.
The Polish landscape is mostly flat. Still, there are places here that mountain lovers will be thrilled with. For example, the Polish part of the High Tatras, which is as beautiful as the Slovakian .
In the very north, you’ll find seaside resorts on the Baltic Sea with wide beaches that aren’t overrun with tourists.
Another area in the north that should definitely not escape your attention is Slowinski National Park. Near the town of Leba there are beautiful sand dunes, which are called the Polish Sahara.
There are excellent air connections from here to Porto and the capital Lisbon. Both cities are beautiful.
Another area is the Algarve region in the south of Portugal. If you want to make sure the sun shines during your holiday – head here. This is the sunniest area, where it shines up to 300 days a year.
More inspiration for holidays in Portugal:
- LISBON: Check out our tips for the best places to visit in Lisbon. Find out how to save with the Lisbon Card in this detailed review.
- SINTRA: Read tips on the best places to visit in Sintra. If you’re planning a day trip to Sintra, get our tips on how to get to Sintra from Lisbon. In the next article, we share tips for visiting Pena Palace.
The area around the Dachstein mountain massif is also popular, with its iconic views and the town of Hallstatt.
More inspiration for your holiday in Austria:
- WHAT TO SEE IN VIENNA: Check out our itinerary for 3 days in Vienna. In the article Vienna with kids we share tips on how to enjoy Vienna with the whole family.
- ACCOMMODATION IN VIENNA: In our guide to where to stay in Vienna you will find tips on the best neighbourhoods and accommodation in Vienna, including practical information.
- AUSTRALIAN ALPS: Get inspired by our tips on what to do in the Austrian Alps (hiking routes, excursions).
- Tyrol is one of the most popular parts of the Austrian Alps, as is the Dachstein mountain range. If you want to enjoy the beautiful untouched nature of the High Tauern National Park, take a look at what to visit in the High Tauern.
Much of Romania is made up of deep forests and desolate Carpathian Mountains. That is why it is called the Nepal of Europe. Unlike other mountain ranges in Europe, Romania is not affected by mass tourism.
The Transylvania region in the north-west is worth a visit. It includes all the natural beauties – mountains, lakes, natural parks, rocks, gorges, but also monasteries. The Transfagarasan high mountain road leads through here.
In Bucharest, you can admire the second largest administrative building in the world – the Parliament.
Greece, it’s architecture, sea, rocky coastlines, beautiful resorts and lots of islands.
San Marino is a small landlocked country in Italy. With the famous Italian resort of Rimini just a short drive away, San Marino is ideal for a day trip when you’re not looking for a day of sunbathing by the sea.
The entire capital of San Marino is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is dominated by Monte Titano, from which you will have a magnificent view of Italy.
Northern Macedonia is a country of different mountain ranges. You can find shale, volcanic, Carpathian or limestone mountains. A very popular mountain range is the Šar Planina, which Macedonia shares with Kosovo and partly Albania.
Macedonia has no sea. However, it has Lake Ohrid with the town of the same name on its shores. The Macedonian capital Skopje is also beautiful.
When I say Slovakia, the High Tatras come to mind. But there are other beautiful mountains in Slovakia. Some even closer to us. The Low Tatras to the south of the High Tatras and the Great and Little Fatra to the west. Another beautiful area is the Slovak Paradise National Park, where you can enjoy caves, gorges, gorges, waterfalls.
More inspiration for holidays in Slovakia:
- LOW TATRAS: See the complete guide to the Low Tatras (transport, accommodation, easy and day hikes, excursions).
- MALÁ FATRA: We share tips for the most beautiful places in Malá Fatra in a separate article.
- SLOVAKIA: Get inspired where to go to the mountains in Slovakia. We have also prepared a detailed article with tips on where to go on holiday in Slovakia.
Just on the edge of Slovenia lies Triglav National Park, through which flows the beautiful turquoise and clear Soca River. The park stretches all the way to lakes Bled and Bohinj, which is a great base for excursions into the surrounding area.
Just a little further north you will find the Velika Planina plateau. The largest settlement of shepherds in Europe. You will have a more challenging hike, but it is worth it. Time has stopped here.
In Serbia you will find both mountains and lowlands with wine regions. One of the mountains is Suva Planina in the southeast of Serbia.
You can also enjoy beautiful nature in the Djerdap National Park around the Danube River. Here you can admire the canyon called the Iron Gate, which stretches for 9 km.
The semi-desert area of Bardenas Reales in the province of Navarre is sure to take your breath away. In the whole world you will see a similar phenomenon only in Utah in the USA and New Zealand. And then here.
To the north are the limestone Picos de Europa mountains and, on the border with France, the vast Pyrenees.
More inspiration for holidays in Spain:
- MALLORCA: Mallorca is one of the most beautiful islands in Spain, with so many breathtaking places to visit in Mallorca.
- SPAIN: In our list of the most beautiful places to visit in Spain, we give you tips on what to see in Spain.
- MADRID: Get inspired by our tips on what to see in Madrid.
- BARCELONA: Barcelona is the most visited city in Spain, along with Madrid. Check out tips on what to see in Barcelona (entrance fees, opening hours, photos, map) or plan your trip with the Barcelona in 3 Days itinerary.
- VALENCIA: Valencia is another beautiful city in Spain. We’ve put together a complete guide to visiting Valencia, including tips on what to see in Valencia.
- ANDALUSIA: Andalusia is one of the most beautiful regions in Spain – in our Andalusia guide, we’ve put together tips on the best places to see in Andalusia.
- GRANADA: Granada is a historic gem near Seville, home to the world-famous Alhambra Palace. Read our guide with tips on attractions and sights to visit in Granada.
- SEVILLA: Get inspired by our tips on what to see in Seville.
- MÁLAGA: Málaga is one of the most popular seaside resorts in Andalusia – we’ve put together a detailed guide to Málaga with tips on what to see, do and practical information before you head to Málaga.
Want to experience the Northern Lights for yourself? Then head across the Arctic Circle to Lapland. Lapland in Sweden includes several national parks, some of which are UNESCO heritage sites. In Lapland you can go on a trek through the so-called. The Royal Route or Kungsleden.
The capital Stockholm is known as the Venice of the North. The city will entertain you with its gothic architecture, hipster cafes and lots of greenery.
The largest island in Sweden and the largest island in the Baltic Sea is Gotland, where you can see, among other things, interesting rock formations right on the beach.
When I say Switzerland, I immediately think of a beautiful part of the Alps with deep blue lakes reflecting the surrounding peaks and rocks. For example, the Matterhorn, which is the most famous and most iconic Swiss mountain.
The unspoilt part of the Alps between Switzerland and Italy can be traversed by the red Bernini trains, the highest railway in Europe.
Ukraine is a country where you will find mountain lovers in the Transcarpathian region and lovers of the sea and the beaches of the Black Sea. Typical are vast steppe plains. Among the cities worth visiting are the capital Kiev, Lviv and Odessa.
It’s been a couple of years since we’ve criss-crossed the UK. From London, to Stonehenge, to Wales, to Scotland, where we spent most of our time. Under a tent, constantly wet and cold, but gasping at how beautiful Scotland is.
Scottish nature is symbolised by its ruggedness, grassy plains, lochs and mountain peaks that are not at all as high as they seem. If you want to experience a bit of culture, visit the centre of Scotland – the city of Edinburgh and its majestic hilltop castle.
The largest national park in England is the Lake District. The area is full of greenery and peaks from which you will have a beautiful view of the surroundings.
In the south-east of the UK, the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs in the South Downs National Park near the coastal city of Brighton are also worth a visit.
More inspiration for holidays in the UK:
- ENGLAND: Here’s a list of the most beautiful places in England.
- LONDON: Read more about what to see in London. To help you plan your trip, we’ve created a 3-day London itinerary. In a separate article, we share tips on what to do in London with kids or how to save money in London.
- EDINBURGH: Check out our 25 tips on what to see in Edinburgh (+ more useful information and tips for your trip) and where to stay in Edinburgh.
Inspiration for where to go on holiday in Europe? What do you think are the most beautiful places in Europe?
See even more inspiration for your travels.